Family PACT

Family PACT

SHS  medical services are provided via in-person and/or video appointments. For Family PACT enrollment and re-enrollment, please call SHS at 415-338-1251.

Program Overview

The Family Planning, Access, Care, Treatment (Family PACT) is a federally funded program that helps people avoid getting pregnant or causing a pregnancy when they are not ready.  Family PACT covers the cost of many birth control methods as well as the cost of testing, diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and vaginal infections.

To qualify for Family PACT, you must be a California resident and meet eligibility criteriaFamily PACT only works in California. All Family PACT information is confidential and program enrollment is voluntary. 

Students are free to withdraw from the program at any time or to refuse any service. Eligible students will receive a Health Access Program (HAP) card when they enroll in the program. The card can be used at any provider that offers Family PACT in California.

Family PACT Enrollment

Make a medical appointment with an SHS provider for family planning and reproductive health care services.  At your appointment, your SHS provider will discuss if Family PACT is a good option for you. 

To locate a Family PACT provider outside of SHS, call (800)942-1054 or search online.

Renewal Process

  • Check the Family PACT website to see if you are still eligible.
  • Call Student Health Services at 415-338-1251 to speak with staff to schedule an appointment for Family PACT renewal.
  • Make sure to re-enroll in Family PACT at least two months before your card expires (one year after the date you last enrolled)

Birth Control Refill

If you are leaving California, make sure you have a sufficient supply of your birth control prescription to take with you.

Any pharmacy in California, such as Safeway, Walgreens, CVS, Costco, etc., can fill your Family PACT prescription. Bring your HAP card to the pharmacy when you go to drop off or pick up your prescription.

To have a current Family PACT prescription transferred from SHS Pharmacy to an outside pharmacy in California, bring your prescription container with its label to your preferred pharmacy, and the pharmacist can call the SHS Pharmacy at (415) 338-1710.