Frequently Asked Questions

SHS provides basic medical care to registered SFSU students. Our no-cost visits include:

  • medical providers
  • nurses
  • athletic trainer
  • nutritionist
  • no-cost x-rays when ordered during a visit

Services offered at a low cost include:

  • over-the-counter medications
  • prescription medications
  • vaccines
  • basic laboratory testing
  • orthopedic supplies like crutches, slings, etc.  

Note: Health insurance is not required for visit.

SHS does not take most insurances. Costs for laboratory tests, vaccines, etc. will be billed to your Bursar Account. Pharmacy accepts certain insurances; if so, your copay is billed to your Bursar Account.

Health insurance is important to access care. SHS is unable to provide:

  • after hours, overnight, weekend, or long-term medical care
  • specialists, special tests, urgent care, emergency services, or hospitalization
  • specialty medications, procedures, etc.

The Student Health Fee is a mandatory fee, part of students’ tuition. The Student Health Fee provides student services from

Yes! This is called reciprocal services. Students eligible for basic services at one CSU campus shall be eligible for basic services provided by other CSU campuses at no additional charge.

Students under the age of 18 (a minor) may need parental or guardian consent for services at SHS. Please come into SHS or call (415) 338-1251 and ask to speak to a Nurse before making an appointment.

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) and Hepatitis B are required for all SF State students.

Mail, fax or take a copy of your immunizations records to the SF State Registrar’s Office in the Student Services Building, Room 101. If you need an immunization, you can get one at Student Health Services with an Immunization appointment. Some immunizations or vaccines will need to be special ordered.

Visit the Health Insurance page for more information.

Student Health Services is located below ground adjacent to the Psychology and Ethnic Studies Building, and directly across from Burk Hall in the northwest corner of the SF State campus.