New Student Frequently Asked Questions
- What does Student Health Services do?
- Does SHS accept medical insurance?
- Why do I need health insurance?
- What is the Student Health Fee?
- If I am under age 18 (a minor), do I need my parent's consent to be seen at the SHS?
- Which immunizations do I need before coming to SF State?
- Where do I submit my required immunization records?
- How do I get health insurance through SF State?
- Where is Student Health Services located?
Provides basic medical care to registered SFSU students
no-cost visits with
- medical providers
- athletic trainer
- no-cost x-rays when ordered during a visit
at low cost:
- over-the-counter medications
- prescription medications
- basic laboratory testing
- orthopedic supplies like crutches, slings, etc.
- no-cost visits with
- Health insurance NOT required for visit
- SHS does not take most insurances
- Costs for laboratory tests, vaccines, etc. will be billed to your Bursar Account.
- Pharmacy accepts certain insurances; if so, your copay is billed to your Bursar Account.
to access care SHS is unable to provide
- after hours, overnight, weekend, or long-term medical care
- specialists, special tests, urgent care, emergency services, or hospitalization
- specialty medications, procedures, etc.
- Mandatory fee, part of students’ tuition
- Provides student services from
- see CSU Policy for funding Student Health Services for details
Students under the age of 18 (a minor) may need parental or guardian consent for services at SHS. Please come in to SHS or call 415-338-1251 and ask to speak to a Nurse before making an appointment.
Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) and Hepatitis B are required for all SF State students.
Mail, fax or take a copy of your immunizations records to the SF State Registrar’s Office in the Student Services Building, Room 101.
If you need an immunization, you can get one at Student Health Services with an Immunization appointment. Some immunizations or vaccines will need to be special ordered.
Visit the Health Insurance page for more information.
Student Health Services is located below ground adjacent to the Psychology and Ethnic Studies Building, and directly across from Burk Hall in the northwest corner of the SF State campus.