SHS provides basic medical care to registered SFSU students. Our no-cost visits include:
- medical providers
- athletic trainer
- no-cost x-rays when ordered during a visit
Services offered at a low cost include:
- over-the-counter medications
- prescription medications
- basic laboratory testing
- orthopedic supplies like crutches, slings, etc.
Note: Health insurance is not required for visit.
- The pharmacy may accept your insurance – please call 338-1710 or ask at our Pharmacy to verify.
- Co-payments and cost for lab tests, medications, etc. are billed to your Bursar Account.
- Some insurance plans may reimburse you for the cost of certain medical expenses at SHS such as lab tests, assistive devices like crutches, and medications.
- Please check with your insurance plan.
- Check your sfsu account 5 business days after your appointment for any charges due.
- Pay charges at SFSU Bursar (or online).
- Confirm with your insurance plan that they will cover your charges. Ask about their reimbursement process for your claim.
- Most insurance companies require you to mail in an itemized receipt AND a completed insurance claim form to request reimbursement.
- If you need to send in an itemized receipt, login to myHealth and click on Billing Statements.
- It may take up to 10 days after your payment for your statement to appear in myHealth.
- Review your statement to ensure it shows that you have paid the charges.
- If correct, print out and send in with all other required documents.
- If not correct, either wait a few more business days before checking again or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Whenever you use any medical services in the community (outside of SHS).
- Medical clinics
- Emergency Rooms
- Urgent Care Clinics
- X-ray facilities
In the Community:
- Check your insurance plan website for a list of providers who accepts your insurance plan.
- Bring your insurance card with you!
- In case of emergency, call the number listed on your insurance card and ask for the closest emergency room the plan is contracted with.
- At the time of your visit, present your insurance card to the front desk staff to verify that they DO accept your insurance.
- Ask the front desk staff about their billing process.
Health insurance is important to access care. SHS is unable to provide:
- after hours, overnight, weekend, or long-term medical care
- specialists, special tests, urgent care, emergency services, or hospitalization
- specialty medications, procedures, etc.
Yes! This is called reciprocal services. Students eligible for basic services at one CSU campus shall be eligible for basic services provided by other CSU campuses at no additional charge.
Students under the age of 18 (a minor) may need parental or guardian consent for services at SHS. Please come into SHS or call (415) 338-1251 and ask to speak to a Nurse before making an appointment.
Mail, fax or upload to MyHealth. If you need an immunization, you can get one at Student Health Services with an Immunization appointment. Some immunizations or vaccines will need to be special ordered.
Student Health Services is located below ground adjacent to the Psychology and Ethnic Studies Building, and directly across from Burk Hall in the northwest corner of the SF State campus.