Mental Health Services
University life can be stressful for many reasons, and it is not uncommon for students to experience emotional problems during this period of time. Many disturbances in emotional health, including depression, anxiety, self-destructive or suicidal thoughts, have a physical component. And some physical symptoms, (e.g. sleep or appetite disturbance, chest pain, stomach upset) can be caused by emotional distress.
If you have any concerns related to your mental health, an evaluation by a medical professional can shed light on the cause of your symptoms and provide direction in how to treat them. At Student Health Services, we have three psychiatrists on staff to provide necessary care and medication management. For counseling and psychological services offered on campus, click the link below.
For life-threatening emergencies:
- On-campus, dial 8-2222
- Off-campus, dial 911
24 Hour Emergency Services for Suicide Prevention
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
San Francisco Crisis Hotline: 415-781-0500
Alameda 24 Hour Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255
Contra Costa 24 Hour Crisis Line: 1-800-833-2900
San Mateo Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention Center: 1-650-579-0350
Santa Clara County Suicide & Crisis: 1-855-278-4204
Hopeline: 1-800-422-HOPE (4673)
The Trevor Project (LGBTQ): 1-866-488-7386
Psychiatric and Psychological Services by County
- Alameda County
- Contra Costa County
- Marin County
- Sacramento County
- San Francisco County
- San Mateo County
- Southern California
San Francisco County
- San Francisco Free mental health chart including 24 hour hotlineZuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital & Trauma Center: (415) 206-8125 Division of Acute Emergency Services: 1001 Potrero Ave. SF Psychiatric Emergency Services provide crisis stabilization, complete medical and psychiatric assessment and evaluation services. Available to anyone experiencing a mental health emergency.
- Westside Crisis: 245 11th St. (between Folsom & Howard): Call (415) 355-0311 Drop inservices:Mon-Friday 8am-5pm or Saturday 9am-4pm (closed 12:30-1pm).In order to be seen arrive between 8:00am-11am or 1:00pm-3:30pm. Provides crisis intervention, brief crisis treatment (1-3 visits) and referrals.The Clinic is designed to stabilize low-income residents in a mental health crisis and refer that person to an appropriate source for follow-up treatment. Does not accept private insurance. Accept Medi-Cal and uninsured. Services for SF residents 18+.
- OMI Family Center (CBHS):(415) 452-2200. 1701 Ocean Ave. (at Faxon): Open to SF residents 59 and under. Drop hours Mon, Tues, Thurs, Friday 9:45am-10:30am. Offerindividual counseling, case management, medication management, information & referrals.For those with Medi-Caland some sliding scale for no or very low income. Must bring I.D. to drop in time.
- For Students with Kaiser Insurance: 2 locations in SF Kaiser Permanente Mental Health Services in Daly City: 2001 Junipero Serra Blvd #650, Daly City(650) 991-6200 Kaiser Permanente Department of Psychiatry: 4141 Geary Blvd, San Francisco: (415)833-2292 *contact number and express that you have an urgent mental health need*If you have Kaiser outside SF County, contact the number on your Kaiser card
San Mateo County
Access San Mateo Mental Health
- Phone: 800-686-0101, TDD 800-943-2833
- San Mateo Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention Center: 650-579-0350
- Alameda County Behavioral Healthcare Services (http://www.acbhcs.org/)
- John George Psychiatric Hospital
2060 Fairmont Drive
San Leandro, CA 94578