Domestic Health Insurance

The Student Health Center provides most of the basic health services that students will need at SF State. This is covered by the Student Health Fee which is included in your tuition. California State University and Student Health Services recommend that students have health insurance in case:

  • Student Health Services is not open.
  • You have a medical condition or emergency that requires specialized tests, treatment, or hospital care.

Affordable Care Act - Covered CA

Many SF State students qualify for health insurance through the Affordable Care Act. To see if you qualify speak with an Enrollment Counselor in the community.  Please see the list below and call to set up an appointment to enroll in a Covered CA health insurance plan.


For more information about ACA and Covered CA:


Locations for Help with Health Insurance Enrollment
Organization Contact Name Address Phone
Health Benefits Resource Center Araceli Martinez 2015 Forest Ave, San Jose, 95128 (408) 991-5860
Health Ways, Inc. Dr. Vennie Acebo 901 Campus Drive, Suite 209, Daly City, 94015 (650) 746-3316
Maxine Hall Health Center Roxana Wu 1301 Pierce Street, San Francisco, 94115 (415) 292-1300
Mission Neighborhood Health Clinic Luis Cortez 240 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, 94110 (415) 692-1515
North East Medical Services     (415) 391-9686 ext. 8130
South of Market Health Center Kym Canty 229 7th Street, San Francisco, 94103 (415) 503-6077
Women's Community Clinic Kemi Role 1833 Filmore Street, 3rd Floor, San Francisco 94115 (415) 379-7800

Back to top



With the passage of the Affordable Care Act, many SF State students qualify for Medi-Cal.


You can enroll in Medi-Cal:


For more information about Medi-Cal:


If you qualify for Medi-Cal you will also qualify for dental coverage thorough Denti-Cal.

Back to top


Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals - DACA

Students who have completed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) process can qualify for MediCal through the "Permanently Residing Under the Color of Law" or PRUCOL.


The best way for a DACA student to sign up for MediCal is to go to their local MediCal office with:

  1. A filled out PRUCOL form;
  2. DACA documentation; and 
  3. Income information.


Resources for DACA Students:

Back to top

Dental Insurance

Student Health Services does not provide any dental care. You must purchase separate dental insurance.

Community Resources for Dental Care

Back to top