Student Health Services provides basic care for acute and chronic problems, promotes health awareness, educates students about preventive care, disease management and therapeutic choices, and helps students develop the skills to manage their own health.
- Health Center Goals and Objectives
- Eligibility and Confidentiality
- Providers and Staff
- Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Accessibility Statement
- Contact Us
The mission of SF State Student Health Services (SHS) is to provide accessible and cost-effective quality medical care for all registered students at SF State. SHS strives to work with students to enhance lifelong health and wellness, facilitate retention and graduation, and to reduce systematic health disparities related to human and cultural diversity.
By providing accessible quality health care services, SHS strives to create an environment for all students to learn the skills to manage their own health and become informed future health care consumers.
The primary goal of the is to serve SF State students to the best of the Student Health Services' capabilities.
Goal 1: To respond to the acute medical and nursing needs of the student community.
- To provide high quality outpatient medical services for the care of acute and subactue conditions, illnesses and injuries to all regularly enrolled California State University (CSU) students in a timely manner, as mandated by the CSU Policy of the Board of Trustees on Student Health Services E.O. 943 (herein after called the Trustee's Policy).
- To provide contraceptive, gynecological, and sexually transmitted infection (STI) diagnostic and treatment services to students as mandated by the Trustee's Policy.
- To provide programs for the prevention and control of communicable diseases.
- To provide health assessment for early detection and prevention of disease and disability.
Goal 2: Health Outcomes
- To encourage communication with students, and promote health access and minimize disparities in health outcomes for all students including international students, those living in the residence halls, and others with special health needs.
Goal 3: To provide additional health services without diverting staff or resources from the provision for basic health services for students.
- To provide limited environmental health and safety and employee health services to San Francisco State University employees identified by Environmental Health and Occupational Safety (EHOS).
- To provide first aid services to all sick or injured person on the campus during clinic hours.
- To offer generic medical advice to faculty, staff , and administrators to facilitate health and safety.
All regularly enrolled students (those students who pay the Student Health Fee) at any California State University campus are entitled to use any CSU Student Health Service for primary (basic) care whether or not they have health insurance. Proof of current enrollment (such as student ID or class schedule) must be shown prior to receiving service. Specialty services are available to San Francisco State University students only.
* Students under 18 years old may need parental or guardian consent for services. Please come into SHS or call (415) 338 -1251, to speak with a nurse before making an appointment.
Students who want to bee seen during winter or summber break need to have been enrolled at SF State the previous semester.
Your Student Health Services medical records are confidential. Information will not be released without your consent except for legal subpoenas and for some communicable diseases, which by law must be reported to the Department of Public Health.
Not all PDF and Word documents are compliant.
Interim Access Solutions
Students with a disability can call a staff member at Student Health Services for assistance at (415) 338-1251.
Responsible for Changes
Student Health Services
Target Completion Date
July 31, 2019