Cold vs. Flu
Alert: Student Health has not yet received
its supply of flu vaccine for 2017.
We will post an announcement here when we will be able to give flu shots.
Click here for a list of nearby pharmacies where you can get a flu shot now.
Common Cold Symptoms: Runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, cough
Common Flu Symptoms: Fever, headache, body aches
Cold and Flu Care Tips
- Cough or sneeze into your arm and wash your hands frequently to avoid getting others sick. The flu IS contagious!
- Stay home and rest, especially if you have a fever.
- Drink plenty of fluids like water, tea, fruit juice, or clear soups.
- Do not drink alcohol or smoke. Smoking can make symptoms worse.
- Cough drops may help relieve a sore throat.
- Take Tylenol as directed for fever and aches.
- Make prevention your intention! Get the flu vaccine every year.
Over the Counter (OTC) Medications for Cold or Flu at Student Health Services
***Free consultation with a pharmacist***
|COMMON SYMPTOMS||OTC MEDICATIONS AT STUDENT HEALTH PHARMACY||COST|
|Stuffy nose||Sudafed PE (generic)||$3.25 for 36 tablets|
|Afrin Nasal Spray (generic)||$3|
|Cough||Robitussin DM Cough & Chest Congestion (generic)||$4|
|Sore throat||Cepacol Lozenges(generic)||$4 for 18 lozenges|
|Runny nose/sneezing||Claritin or Zytec (generic)||$3.75 for 30 tablets|
|Fever, headache, body aches||Acetaminophen (generic)||$3 for 50 tablets|
|Ibuprofen (generic)||$3.50 for 50 tablets|
|COLD/FLU CARE KIT|
|A handy self-care kit put together for you by the student health pharmacists.||Tea bag||$10 for 1 kit|
|Face mask (wear if coughing)|
If you think you need to see a doctor, call the nurse first.
Free 24/7 Student Health Advice Nurse: (415) 338-1251
- Current CDC Flu Recommendations
- How to Take Your Temperature
- Get Smart: What You Should Know About Antibiotic Resistance