Cold vs. Flu
Alert: Student Health now has flu vaccine!
Flu shot costs $10. Schedule an immunization clinic appointment online.
Or Click here for a list of nearby pharmacies where you can get a flu shot.
Common Cold Symptoms: Runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, cough
Common Flu Symptoms: Fever, headache, body aches
Cold and Flu Care Tips
- Cough or sneeze into your arm and wash your hands frequently to avoid getting others sick. The flu IS contagious!
- Stay home and rest, especially if you have a fever.
- Drink plenty of fluids like water, tea, fruit juice, or clear soups.
- Do not drink alcohol or smoke. Smoking can make symptoms worse.
- Cough drops may help relieve a sore throat.
- Take Tylenol as directed for fever and aches.
- Make prevention your intention! Get the flu vaccine every year.
Over the Counter (OTC) Medications for Cold or Flu at Student Health Services
***Free consultation with a pharmacist***
|COMMON SYMPTOMS||OTC MEDICATIONS AT STUDENT HEALTH PHARMACY||COST|
|Stuffy nose||Sudafed PE (generic)||$3.25 for 36 tablets|
|Afrin Nasal Spray (generic)||$3|
|Cough||Robitussin DM Cough & Chest Congestion (generic)||$4|
|Sore throat||Cepacol Lozenges(generic)||$4 for 18 lozenges|
|Runny nose/sneezing||Claritin or Zytec (generic)||$3.75 for 30 tablets|
|Fever, headache, body aches||Acetaminophen (generic)||$3 for 50 tablets|
|Ibuprofen (generic)||$3.50 for 50 tablets|
|COLD/FLU CARE KIT|
|A handy self-care kit put together for you by the student health pharmacists.||Tea bag||$10 for 1 kit|
|Face mask (wear if coughing)|
If you think you need to see a doctor, call the nurse first.
Free 24/7 Student Health Advice Nurse: (415) 338-1251
- Current CDC Flu Recommendations
- How to Take Your Temperature
- Get Smart: What You Should Know About Antibiotic Resistance